What and Why? BBS’s and modems in 2018?
WiModem232 with oled-display / www.cbmstuff.com
- WiModem232 is an internet modem for (any) computer with RS232 interface port that
emulates Hayes compatible modem. Plugging the WiModem232 to the serial port and you
can connect to BBS’s anywhere, in 2018.
- The WiModem232 requires access to your local router and supports easy WIFI-setup inc.
WPS one-button setup.
- Firmware updates are done using simple command that fetches the lastest firmware from the cmbstuff.com server and updates the WiModem232 without even having to remove the WiModem232 from your computer.
- WiModem232 supports 300 to 115200 baud.
- This model have 128×64 pixel OLED screen.
- Requires external 5v power using Mini-B type USB-connector.
- WiModem232 controlls all standard RS-232 lines: Rx, Tx, RTS, CTS, DSR, DTR, DCD and RI.
So you can run your own BBS!
Using the WiModem232:
I haven’t used modems since late 80’s (calling to BBS’s) so this was all “new” to me again. I had no idea what to do really, so it was all learning from almost zero to me again. I had a huntch of cause…
So i started with buying an DB25-DB25 -cable that i connected to the WiModem232 and Apple’s own Super Serial Card II. The WiModem232 would benefit from a enclosure but right now there is no such thing available. The cbmstuff.com does have it coming (you can print/get it printed yourself) however.
I tried using different versions of ProTerm but for time being, i could make the ProTerm v1.9p working only.
Super Serial Card II -settings (thanks to Jeremy Apple@a80sappleiibbs)
-Block facing to MODEM (Jemery’s setup was facing to “Terminal”, but i could only get it working like this)
(you can check your SSC-cards manual for the DIP-switch settings & details)
ProTerm v1.9p :
-Modem: Null modem Driver (RTS/CTS)
-Port: Apple Super Serial Card (Slot #2)
-300 Baud (for setup)
Basic commands :
ATI – that gives information from the device itself, good indication the connection is working. The WiModem232 display says “looking for router” untill the connection is been established.
AT*N – to see list of available wireless networks you have access to.
AT*SSID NETWORKNAME,PASSPHRASE – to connect your wireless network with passphrase. Connecting is possible with WPS as well if you choose to do so.
When connection was made i changed the connection type to TELNET with command:
..and made connection to BBS with : ATDT a80sappleiibbs.ddns.net:6502
And voi’la. It worked.
There actually were a firmware update for the WiModem232 and it downloaded quite quick and worked fine. You can install updates with command AT*UPDATE.
Download the .pdf manual from cbmstuff.com website for more details.
FinApple 2018 (c)
Apple ][ forever.